Frequently Asked Questions
- How long have you been drawing?
- I've been doodling since I was a wee thing big enough to hold a crayon, but I started taking a serious interest in improving in 2002.
- Why do you draw?
- Why does any artist do what they do?
For some it's the love of the aesthetics of the finished product.
For others it's a passionate outlet.
Then there are the few that are just trying to make a quick buck.
I enjoy drawing, from the watching a piece develop from bare bones and chicken scratch, to it beginning to flesh out, to the final lines, to the shading that darkens and defines the forms on the page. It's an intimate part of who I am, and therefore will never be an option as an occupation. Although convincing people of that is pretty difficult.
- Do you paint?
- Heavens, no. Digital attempts at best, but they are still reminiscent of a child's fingerpainting.
Painting and pencil work are two entirely different things, yet for some bizarre reason people assume I can paint simply because I can draw. While both require knowledge of tones and composure, the mediums are very different and the tools mix together differently. With painting, you have to be very aware of how your colors will mix and blend because you are working with liquids. With pencils, you don't have to refill your tool every few seconds and there is considerably less color bleeding to worry about.
- Did you go to art school?
- No and I likely never will. This due to the fact I was homeschooled for eight years. Once you get used to teaching yourself, you never can go back to noisy, chaotic zoos called 'classrooms'. I prefer just to study my surroundings, go through books on anatomy, geology, history, or whatever it is that I'm working on, and reading the tips from professionals' books and websites if there is a technique I'm unsure of.
- What kind of tablet do you use?
- From 2004 to 2011 I used a Wacom Graphire 4. After it died I started using a Wacom Intuos 2.
- Would you draw _____ for me?
- If you would like to commission me, click here. If you're a fellow artist and would prefer an art exchange, send me a message and we'll get started.
- Would you draw a tattoo for me?
- Eh, maybe. I'm not a tattoo artist, but I have made a few in the past for friends. Drop me a line and I'll consider it.
- Can I use your art for _____?
- Possibly. Never hurts to ask.
- Why do you have multiple contact forms on your website?
- I have the headers modified so I know if it is an art request, question, or general feedback.
- Do you have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or something?
- No, I have CDO. It's like OCD, but with all the letters in alphabetical order.
- What's your real name?
- What's your real name?
- Where did you get the name 'Ashe Skyler'?
- Roleplaying, sad to say. I had a character named 'Ashenflame'. Some shortened it to "Ashen" some to "Ashe". I started using an alternate username of "AshenSkye" and in a roundabout way of coming up with a proper name for my character it turned into "Ashe Skyler". I liked the sound of it enough that when she retired I took her name. You may see Ashenflame in a story someday. Her nemesis, Scirei, has already appeared.
- Where did you learn to crochet?
- My mother was the first to instill the passion for it when I was very young. My grandmother (father's mother) furthered this by the blankets and doilies she made. Only recently did I start looking up different patterns and stitches here, there, and yonder.
- What size needles do you use?
- 5mm 'Size H'.
- What kind of yarn do you use?
- Currently just normal ol' yarn. I haven't strayed into the extra fine, heavy weight, or twine-like stuff yet.
Just Another Day
- What do you use to create Just Another Day?
- 8.5"x11" plain paper, 0.07mm mechanical pencil, Sharpie Ultra Fine Point pen, and a ruler. After it's scanned in, I touch up the contrast in Adobe Photoshop 7.0.
- Can I send you my story ideas for Just Another Day?
- No thank you. Just Another Day is pretty much written from beginning to end.
- How was Just Another Day born?
- Boredom and silliness. The original cast all began as usernames on various forums. I had a different personality under each and rather than admit to possible schizophrenia I instead took the creative/story route. Later on I became attached to Shanku and placed her in a more proper story. The title remains the same under both renditions.
- Why the PG rating?
- Most of the stuff is pretty tame in the first two volumes, but there are some folks out there that don't take kindly to things like a dead rabbit tug-of-war between two hungry animals, naked fairies, blood, violence, conjured monsters getting stabbed in the chest or their throats slashed, alcohol references, or "suggestive" scenes.
- Why is there a pronunciation guide for everything on the character pages?
- Too many complaints on "weird" names. Haven't had a complaint since.